Sunday 20 January 2013

Regained Confidence - Slog #2

After the second week of CSC165, I'm starting to pick up and understand more of the course material. Early in the week, I found myself to be very confused as the lecture hour progressed. Nevertheless, I found it especially helpful to learn future content from the course notes before the professor address it in class so I would have a key idea as to what is being discussed about.

This week's lecture consisted of implications, contrapositive and converses. There was a more extensive use of symbols in comparison to the first week. I noticed that deciphering symbols to sentences are less stressful than converting sentences to symbols. At this moment, it takes me quite some time to write symbols based on the sentence since the English language implies many different meanings, consequently making it harder for me to write in its symbolic form.
 
Additionally, going through tutorial exercises with the TA and discussions with other students were very helpful in clearing up any misunderstandings that I had initially.Although I still find myself slow compared to the rest of my peers, I feel that as long as I prepare ahead I'll be able to acheive great progress.



4 comments:

  1. Preparing ahead is a good strategy, but I would advise you not to spend too much time reading the notes before class; maybe skim through them and then devote a lot of time after the lecture to read the notes again and do as many examples as possible. But make sure you understand fully the solutions. You may find it hard at the beginning but if you do the same example again and again, go step by step you will eventually understand it, learn from it, and you'll be able to solve even more difficult problems.

    Btw, the english sentences you'll do in class will have a single meaning and any inaccuracies will be cleared. If you though think that a sentence implies a different meaning than the one translated to symbols, then ask why and make sure you understand the reason! That will help you in not making any more mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As week 3 comes to an end, you are correct! As oppose to staring at the course notes, being engaged in the actual process of writing sentences and its logical notation is very helpful. This was especially true during tutorial where we we practice and took up the exercise :)

      Delete
  2. I went through four years of undergrad assuming I was slower than my peers. It didn't turn out to be true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing that gives me assurance. I hope that's true!

      Delete